Thursday, June 18, 2009

Rotisserie Chicken is Delicious

We made a lot of food today for the camp, including burritos, tacos, and quesadillas. Not too much otherwise except I got more lists of addresses, so I'll be sending out more invitations.

For dinner we ate Zea's Rotisserie and Grill. It was amazing!!! I ordered the ROAST GARLIC AND HERB CHICKEN SEASONED, ROASTED 1/2 CHICKEN, GLAZED WITH ROASTED GARLIC AND HERBS with the two sides sauteed corn and Zea potatoes. AMAZING. The chicken was really tender, and the garlic and herbs sauce was thick and green and salty. It was a great complement to the meat. The corn was really good; it tasted like the kernels had been cooked in a sweet meat juice. Either way, whatever it was, it was so good. The potatoes were slightly fried, I think, with a bit of crunch, and they were super good without being too oily. I ate half of Amy's roasted corn grits, which did not taste like grits at all. They were very buttery, almost too buttery to want to take a second bite, but it still tasted great.
Our speaker was Jim Kelly, the CEO of Catholic Charities and Providence Community Housing. He was really nice, and his daughter graduated from Duke a year ago. Mr. Kelly was very nice and the talk was definitely more of a discussion, a chance for us to ask questions about his experiences serving as the CEO and president of two large nonprofit organizations. He's accomplished a great deal helping the people of New Orleans, and he was extremely humble and personable. Mr. Kelly also spoke about the landscape of New Orleans, and I didn't realize St. Charles is built on a ridge, which is why there was little flooding. And off St. Charles some of the roads dip up and down, so there will be certain blocks that are destitute while others are fine. It's interesting to see how much landscape has had an impact on the outcome of a neighborhood's welfare. Mr. Kelly quoted many numbers, as well, painting a picture of how much landmass was under water (Great Britain size when including New Orleans and places in Mississippi). It's great to hear that people like Mr. Kelly are spearheading the effort to contribute and help rebuild New Orleans.

No comments:

Post a Comment