Our programming for Tuesday night was at the TFA headquarters at the KB Building in Lee Circle. It was definitely a very interesting panel because I've started looking at the organization a little differently. I remember attending a recruitment event during the school year in the fall, and I always thought that TFA has a great goal. I think it's admirable that the organization wants to help struggling educational systems, but in New Orleans, in a post-Katrina time, I don't know that they have exactly. I'm not saying that they haven't provided teachers in a place that desperately needed revamping, but what about the 7,500 teachers who were fired? The panel said that teachers were given a chance to "re-apply" for their jobs after Katrina, but I wonder how big of an effort was made to insure that teachers who did deserve to stay did get to stay. And I wonder how well TFA people manage their first year of teaching when they're put in a classroom that is the furthest from anything they could have ever imagined. Take for example Schwartz, an alternative school. A teacher who had been teaching there for 15 years was recently fired, and he's being replaced by a TFA teacher. He was talking about how some of his students have seen their entire families killed. I don't know, but I'm just not sure how well an unexperienced TFA teacher would be able to handle this.
Overall I think it's a great organization that's dedicated to contributing to communities, and I hope they continue to help students, but I hope more people who are truly interested in education join the team. I know a lot of students do TFA to boost their resumes, so I hope for the sake of the students that the recruited TFA teachers are committed to educational welfare.
Overall I think it's a great organization that's dedicated to contributing to communities, and I hope they continue to help students, but I hope more people who are truly interested in education join the team. I know a lot of students do TFA to boost their resumes, so I hope for the sake of the students that the recruited TFA teachers are committed to educational welfare.

No comments:
Post a Comment