Friday, June 12, 2009

The Opposite of Love Isn't Hate, It's Indifference

So a quick tidbit about the food we had before I talk about the discussion last night. We had Greek/Mediterranean food (falafel, pita, hummus, baklava, grape leaves, and some sort of chicken). The grape leaves were good, and the baklava wasn't too oily, but I have to say that Baba's still has the best falafel I've ever eaten. Otherwise, the hummus and pita were quite tasty (I'm not the biggest fan of hummus, so that says a lot).

Dr. Lance Hill, a history professor at Tulane and the director of the Southern Institute, talked about the racial segregation of New Orleans before and after Katrina. It was definitely an interesting topic since I didn't know much about the demographics or social interactions in the city. While Dr. Hill spoke extensively from the black community's point of view, I think it would have been interesting to hear from someone representing the other opinion. I like to hear from both sides since in a conflict between two groups there are always two points of view. But otherwise the talk was informative and I gained a better understanding of a part of what happened. Still, it's difficult to grasp the sentiments and complexity of the situation since I've never experienced anything remotely close to what occurred. It was surprising, to say the least, to hear that New Orleans is one of the most racially segregated cities in the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment