Today I helped Myesha with the kids in SoFAB's food camp. We made red beans and rice, which is traditionally served every Monday. The history behind the dish is that people would cook it because they would use leftover ham from Sunday in the pot. Also, since women did the wash on Mondays, they needed to cook something that didn't need constant stirring. We added green peppers, celery, and onion (the trinity) to the red beans. We also added some sort of seasoning/spice and sausage. The dish turned out really well. We also made cornbread, which didn't turn out so well.
I then sent out the menu project memo, addressed some more invites, helped move stuff for the event, and pretty much just sat around. The event was really, really interesting. The evening was centered around absinthe. There were three chefs from three different places doing demonstrations. One dish was a salad with a vinaigrette made of absinthe and some creamy ingredient topped with shrimp and Canadian nuts. It was so good. The taste was rather interesting, a bit caesar salad dressing but with a different twist. The second dish consisted of pork belly (which has a lot of fat on it but tasted delicious) and clam. The sauce was made of absinthe, vinegar, and orange juice, so it was sweet but not citrusy. On top of everything, the chef added parsley. The third dish was a spoon of oyster with green (I think it was made out of absinthe) little caviar-like eggs. The garnish was crunchy. That dish definitely tasted very different, unlike anything I've tried. It wasn't bad, but it was a definite seafood taste.
I'll say that absinthe tastes really gross like licorice.
Oatmeal raisin cookies always taste good!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment