Since I didn't really elaborate about yesterday, I'll write a bit more about it. The museum has a really cool donation from the owners of Bruning's Restaurant. After Katrina, the bar sat in water for about three weeks before the owners could take it out and put it in storage. In the end the owners decided not to keep the bar and donated it to SoFAB. It's supposed to be set up on Thursday for a fundraiser on Monday.
I'm really excited about the gala on July 2 celebrating Leah Chase. Even during the Civil Rights Movement, she didn't care about segregation and welcomed everyone to the restaurant Dooky Chase's, first run by her husband's family. In addition Leah Chase has been a patron of black art and her restaurant displays her collection. We put up the letters on the wall because the museum is dedicating a gallery to her, so one side of the gallery spells out "Leah Chase Louisiana Gallery."
After work I got a ride back to campus and cooked dinner. Then I watched part of "When the Levees Broke" with Naomi, Andrew, and Kevin (Yale). It was really good, and it definitely gave me some perspective as to how high the waters were and the timeline of events.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment