Saturday, July 11, 2009

Preservation Hall

After work I headed over to the French Quarter with Andrew W. and Graham for dinner and Preservation Hall. We planned to go to Coop's Place, which is supposed to have great Creole food. I was excited, but when we got there, the guy at the bar informed us that only people 21 and over could be in there. I didn't realize you had to be 21 to gamble, but anyway, we walked over to Preservation Hall and went to the Gumbo Shop for dinner. I had the chicken andouille gumbo with garlic mashed potatoes, and it was quite good.

Preservation Hall was a lot of fun because the band took requests. I thought it was going to be a show where they played a planned set of songs. People requested The Saints, You Are My Sunshine, St. James Infirmary Blues, etc. It was definitely an interactive environment. Andrew requested West End Blues, which is supposed to have one of the hardest trumpet parts, and the guy just went, "We could, but no."

No comments:

Post a Comment