At work I just finished up the Big Read contact list.
Four of us (Amy, Andrew W., Graham) went to a Holocaust survivors speaker event put on by the Southern Institute. Anne, who was born in 1935, and almost 5 when WWII started, shared her story. It was very interesting hearing from a person who experienced the Warsaw Ghetto and being smuggled out of the ghetto. I can't imagine being a little girl sitting silently in a small chest for days and days. It's difficult to comprehend how fast Anne and her sister had to grow up under the circumstances. But I really enjoyed hearing her story because it brings alive the stories you read in history textbooks and memoirs. When asked about the malnutrition and food in the ghetto, Anne declared that her favorite food is still bread and butter because that's what her father fed them when he came back from Russia for the family. Anne also had a funny story about how she confronted David Duke. Apparently he's tall, and she happens to be short, so she had to reach up to tap him on his shoulder.
After the event we walked over to Crepes a la Cart for some dessert. I got the fruit compote crepe with strawberries and cream. It was really good, and I definitely have to go back to try the other crepes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment