Friday, July 17, 2009

Chris Duhon and New Orleans East

After work I walked over to Ruth's Chris Steak House for the meet and greet with Chris Duhon. Work was mostly just doing writing and looking stuff up. The event was fun and I got autographs and a picture. Once we were all gathered we made our way over to Cafe Giovanni for dinner with the Durham ELI group and parishioners from New Orleans East. The food was good but overpriced. Hearing stories about the aftermath of Katrina definitely put things in perspective and in a rather somber mood. Even though it's been four years out, people are still struggling to pull their lives together. The group was given two questions, what people don't know about Katrina and what we should do/take away from our experience. I think the consensus was that the world doesn't realize how communities affected by Katrina are still working towards rebuilding and that New Orleans and the other neighborhoods still need volunteers and lots of help.

No comments:

Post a Comment